POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with scene aesthetics with regards to glass like objects : Re: Help with scene aesthetics with regards to glass like objects Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with scene aesthetics with regards to glass like objects
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Feb 2006 12:44:51
Message: <43eb7f93$1@news.povray.org>
"Michael Goldshteyn" <mgo### [at] comcastnet> wrote in message
>I created a scene with some glass like superellipsoids.
> unsmooth transitions in the reflections in the glass columns. Even with
> anti-aliasing on, the transitions aren't smooth at all and it looks very
> computer generated and not very real. Can anyone help me with ideas on how
> to make this scene look better and more realistic?

Two possible ideas, and both would slow the rendering down. Camera focal
blur and/or refractive dispersion. However, neither would be direct a remedy
for softening reflections.

I'm not certain of what you might be talking about exactly anyhow. Is it
only the reflectiveness? Or is there something else about it? I tried
rendering a small section at a large enough size to see the glass columns
but I'm still not completely sure if it's only reflection causing the sharp
and dashed lines I'm seeing. Oh, also might be possible to lower
max_trace_level without causing blackout areas, since I tried 15 instead of
50 and it looked fairly okay.

As you might already know, the superellipsoid primitive in a CSG difference
can be slow to render, so I hope you're ready for slower rendering if you
take me up on my suggestions.  ;)

Have you considered using MegaPOV? It can blur reflections (or at least did
in some version). And there's also the regular POV version method of
blending textures, just search for "blurred reflection" and you should find
plenty of past discussion about it.

Bob